Basic Member

Default Want to become capable at playing/improvising twelve bar blues.

Hiya!

I just picked up the bass a month ago. While it's pretty easy to play root notes and some of my favourite Creedence Clearwater Revival songs, I'd love to become really well versed in playing the twelve bar blues in all different keys and with different patterns. A local event centre organises a jam every first of the month where the blues are extensively played, and it'd be great if I could get some stuff down by the next time I get there.

Problem is - due to the overwhelming amount of videos on JamPlay, I can't see the forest because of all the trees. Are there any lessons/instructors in particular that you can recommend based on my ambition to play the blues? Are there any videos that I should practice expertly and extensively? To me at this stage of playing, I'm not sure where to put the accents on.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Michael

Premium Member

Just off the top of my head w/o looking I can recommend Stuart Ziffs series on blues or Hawkeye Herman. But you can go to phase 2 section & click on blues genre & you'll get others. You should also check out lessons on the CAGED system. Stuart has a live session as well & he'll gladly get you started.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bennie357 View Post
    Just off the top of my head w/o looking I can recommend Stuart Ziffs series on blues or Hawkeye Herman. But you can go to phase 2 section & click on blues genre & you'll get others. You should also check out lessons on the CAGED system. Stuart has a live session as well & he'll gladly get you started.
    Thanks! I've done most of the guitar stuff, actually - back when I still had a subscription to guitar lessons. Now it's just bass only I'm afraid.

Premium Member

The bass lesson are separate from the guitar lessons. Guitar players don't have any access to any of the bass lessons. Answers will have to come from a bass player. I would contact a bass teacher or surf the lessons to find the set you might like.

Premium Member

As far as bass or guitar it's all the same theory. You're just playing the bass lines. You can still learn CAGED patterns. You just play arpeggios rather than chords. I used to play bass. You can talk to Alan Skowron on his sessions. He plays bass as well as guitar. If you have a subscription to the bass lessons I think you still have access to live sessions. He knows theory up the wazoo. As far as the bass lessons here, as chuck says, guitar & bass are separate, so I don't have access to them so I can't advise.

If you search the site for "blues bass" you may find something there that will help.

I saw a few that I would check out:

http://members.jamplay.com/bass/phas...ing-bass-lines
    http://members.jamplay.com/bass/phas...rms-bass-lines
    http://members.jamplay.com/bass/phas...ues-bass-lines

I also see that there is a heading for Blues Bass with Larry Cook but there aren't any videos uploaded yet. Hopefully something will be added soon that you can check out.

Basic Member

Thanks a bunch, everybody! How could I have missed the links you just posted?

Quote Originally Posted by merovech View Post
    Thanks a bunch, everybody! How could I have missed the links you just posted?
    No worries, hope it helps!