Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Premium Member GuitarOrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I think Ted Greene is amazing. e.g. his version of Eleanor Rigby:



    Also, would like to put some time into working on Stanley Jordan type tapping at some stage.

  2. #12
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I'm working my way through 'Chord Chemistry' now, it's pretty intense but worth the effort.

    When you get your head around all the chord voicings possible...it's a whole new universe.

  3. #13

  4. #14
    Premium Member BradArmpitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I'm very limited in what Jazz I've heard. Some I don't like at all, but there are others I hear that are quite good. I've heard a little of John McLaughlin. Enough to know he's an excellent guitar player. I like a lot of Miles Davis' music. Pat Methany. Comparing to any style of music, he is one of the top guitarists ever, imo. I think Les Paul played Jazz, too, didn't he? I like his playing and style of music very much. It's kind of Big Band sounding to me. A lot of people don't know that Les' wife, Mary Ford, could play as well as Les. She always took the back seat, of course, but she could keep up.
    Last edited by BradArmpitt; 12-27-2016 at 04:54 PM.

  5. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post
    I'm very limited in what Jazz I've heard. Some I don't like at all, but there are others I hear that are quite good. I've heard a little of John McLaughlin. Enough to know he's an excellent guitar player. I like a lot of Miles Davis' music. Pat Methany. Comparing to any style of music, he is one of the top guitarists ever, imo. I think Les Paul played Jazz, too, didn't he? I like his playing and style of music very much. It's kind of Big Band sounding to me. A lot of people don't know that Les' wife, Mary Ford, could play as well as Les. She always took the back seat, of course, but she could keep up.
    I'm kind of in your same camp. Don't know a lot of jazz artists and not up to speed on naming who's who but it is a genre I have been drawn towards in recent years.

  6. #16
    Premium Member BradArmpitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I love the chords jazz players use. Les Paul used very cool chords and progressions. I like that style very much. Jazz chords are much 'broader' sounding to me, if that makes sense. A wider tonal range within each chord and within each progression.
    Last edited by BradArmpitt; 12-27-2016 at 10:59 PM.

  7. #17
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarOrb View Post
    I think Ted Greene is amazing. e.g. his version of Eleanor Rigby:



    Also, would like to put some time into working on Stanley Jordan type tapping at some stage.
    I hadn't considered myself a Jazz fan until I heard that. Well I'm certainly a fan now! I will learn to play like that, and I won't give up until I do. I just like what sounds good, don't really care what genre it is. And boy does that sound good.
    Last edited by SilverCup; 12-28-2016 at 01:49 AM.

  8. #18
    Premium Member BradArmpitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
    I hadn't considered myself a Jazz fan until I heard that. Well I'm certainly a fan now! I will learn to play like that, and I won't give up until I do. I just like what sounds good, don't really care what genre it is. And boy does that sound good.
    I like the song, but I don't hear Eleanor Rigby in it at all.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Banner