Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Default JamPlay Bass Check-In

Hello Jamplay Bass Players!

Just wanted to check in with you and see how it's going with bass lessons here at JamPlay. Are there any genres you'd like to see more of? Less of? What about skill levels? More or less beginner stuff? Intermediate? Advanced?

We are constantly looking to improve the content on the site, and of course, we appreciate and consider all the feedback we get from our community out there!

- Chris
    Jamplay.com Content Producer

Premium Member

I think it would be great to be able to access the songwriting lessons.

Premium Member

That's a great thought, pink midnight. I'll throw it out to the guys and see what they think. If anything, it would be interesting to explore songwriting from a bass perspective.

-Chris
    JamPlay.com Content Producer

Premium Member

I've been looking at the beginner lessons. So far, none of them have had any related documents/materials. It would be nice to have bass tabs for the exercises and bass lines. If the lesson presenter is doing anything more complicated than walking half steps with one finger per fret in 4/4, I can't tell which finger is fretting, let alone write fast enough to get all the positions recorded for future reference.

Premium Member

I'd like to see at least one lesson a week. Specifically I'm looking for help learning/improving the bass lines for some of the songs my band plays. In some cases, I'm looking for dumbed down bass lines I can play while I get up to speed, then I can build up from there (ex. Galway Girl). In other cases, the band wants me to 'busy up' the bass line since we are a three piece and I could use some suggestions (ex. Honky Tonk Woman).

Thanks for listening,
    Shep

I'd love to see a little more structure. Specifically, I'd either like to have the teacher describe how to get the most out of any exercise they introduce or else have a guide in the supplemental info that says "Practice this exercise for X minutes or until you can Y at Z pace, then move on to the next lesson."

I'd also be delighted to see more jam-along tracks. I think those are a great tool for practicing writing bass lines and learning groove.

Premium Member

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone! I will look into some the issues, and explore the ideas with some of the others on our team. Great to get the feedback!

- Chris
    Jamplay.com Content Producer

Basic Member

That's a Great Idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by rba2124 View Post
    I've been looking at the beginner lessons. So far, none of them have had any related documents/materials. It would be nice to have bass tabs for the exercises and bass lines. If the lesson presenter is doing anything more complicated than walking half steps with one finger per fret in 4/4, I can't tell which finger is fretting, let alone write fast enough to get all the positions recorded for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by rba2124 View Post
    That's JamPlay's Achilles heel. From a conceptual standpoint on all levels they see the video as the primary and the actual documentation as "supplemental". That usually means a time and logistical lapse between finding the documentation which is absolutely explicit whereas the best any angle of video of the back of someone's hands is more implicit than explicit. Therefore the so-called "supplemental" is really primary and the video should be supportive with integration of the documentation as a completely illustrated lesson on one screen. I brought this up and spoke at length (2 hours) witha Jamplay rep who PMed me his number. I'm afraid they are invested already way to heavily in their assumptions and fundamental change of that order won't be forthcoming any time soon.

I'm joined up to the guitar and bass offerings as well as a member of their competitors and am an instructional designer with 25 years experience that predates the internet where instructional delivery by computer to teach a number of things (except music so far). This gives me my perspective. I have also been an activist in educational reform communities and have learned the hard way that what the problem really is is that new educational initiatives should get the human learner right in what they can handle and what motivates them rather than just shifting around conventional "stuff" and thinking it an "improvement".

On the bass lessons I took Evan Brewer's lessons and thought him to be a very good instructor.On the second level I was surprised there are only I think four genres. I picked Jazz and there were two teachers. I tried the second one and his 6 string headless bass with no fret markers intimidated me. So I went a few lessons with the first guy, Tom Appleman who plays the four string. It wasn't long before I felt I was watching a musician give a best-effort lecture as opposed to a worked-on lesson, and he deferred to the "supplemental content". That to me is really falling back to using the computer as a sophisticated page=turner instead of a uniquely powerful medium. Given all I've said, I think what JP is doing with songs is one the best track. They take a song appart and you have the chance to work one section at a time. For bass, that is not as practical because bass isn't layered like guitar parts. But IMO there are a zillion songs in different genres which can be chosen which have a particular bass technique in them that is really something a secondary level or above person would want to learn in context. Perhaps that might be a good direction for the bass section as i is in the guitar. And thus that is my answer to the thread starter's question in terms of content. Once the basics are thoroughly covered--and they are, song illustrations of various techniques and changes is something I connect with more than a general take on styles and a then parachuting out to leave a person to explore the "supplemental". That model leaves too much room for a procrasinater to just bail and look for something else that does feel motivating. No diss to Tom Appleman. He seems like a really nice fella and his chats have value.

JamPlay Instructor

please specify which Phase 1 bass lessons for which you need supplemental material. Every bass lesson that was posted that NEEDED tab (i.e., the teacher is actually showing a scale or exercise) has the required material. Some lessons are just talks, like the introductions in each series, or discussions about parts of the bass, tone, etc.

I know this because I personally notated the following Phase 1 bass lessons: Dave Ellefson, Evan Brewer, Billy Sheehan, and John DeServio, and proofread all of Larry Cook's material (he supplied his own).

There have been times in the past where lessons slipped through the cracks and went up without tabs, but those days have been over for about 2 years. If anyone ever finds a lesson without tab, please send a note to JamPlay's customer service and it will be fixed immediately.