Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Jerry Jemmott, I'm new to bass myself, I play guitar as well. I wish I could afford both lessons. Play on!
    Last edited by seasonedcitizen; 01-05-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Been impressed seeing Glenn Hughes and Billy Sheehan play live, both top Bass's
    "Keep doing it, the more you do the more you learn". - Paul McCartney's advice for inspiring musicians/songwriters.

Premium Member

Tons of guys out there but a few of my favorites are Steve Bailey, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, John Patitucci and for rock of course there's Geddy Lee.

Premium Member

1.jpg She gets my vote!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just wondering who everyone thinks the best living bass player is? Victor Wooten has my vote, but I'm just getting into the world of bass so would like to check out the other greats. GO!
    Yup. I saw Bela Fleck once and Wooten did a bass solo. But just when you thought you heard it all and it was great he sorta jumped on to a different plane that defies description. I've never seen anything like that. I'm 58 and have been a jazz,rock and blues concert goer since age 15. I'm a native NYCer and I've seen a way lot. What Wooten did that night I had no idea was possible.

Premium Member

Depends on what style. For bass soloist Victor Wooten. For jazz, blues, and rock Jack Bruce.

Default dunno.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.v.price View Post
    Depends on what style. For bass soloist Victor Wooten. For jazz, blues, and rock Jack Bruce.
    prolly Flea for me.....

Basic Member

Victor Wooten!

Hello,
    For me it depends heavily on the meaning of "best", they are a lot of incredible technicians around.

For me a good bas player is someone innovative, good technician, musical, supporting with a limited "show off" presence.

In this sens, among Jamplay instructors, Bryan Beller is incredibly good.
    I love its works in the two Aristocrats CDs, the first one issued in 2011 is a gem in any aspect (Govan is incredible, this disk is a moving tribute to all great guitar players, close your eyes, sometimes you ear John Scoffield, sometimes Satriani, sometimes the best of the old times of jazz guitarists.. a gem, and Beller works is perfect, the second is very bad.. and Beller is the only one who really shines (Minemann confuses music and noise and Govan forgot it is one of the best modern electric guitar player to become some kind of uninspired metal guy).

I'm not very found of those who confuse sport and bass.

A few years back I was at a concert with Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten.
    If bass was an Olympic sport, it's clear Wooten would be gold medal.. but on the music side... on the opposite, Miller and Clarke were perfect. Both have a real distinctive sound, the tumb hits twice the strings and you recognize Miller, same thing for M. Alembic.

In their respective styles, I would nominate Clarke and Miller

Billy Shean is a immense technician (likely the best rock bass technician), but really to me he seems like a frustrated guitarist who for some reason play the bass, he as a very personal sound and style, but is a soloist among others, not a supporting underlying guy, I'm not really found of him (even if I respect a lot his sound and technique).

My 2 cents

Luc
    Last edited by lstelie; 10-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Bass : Precision American Std (2009) / Godin SD4 (2001) / Warwick Corvette Std MIG (2007) - Markbass Littlemark 250
    Guitar : Epiphone ES-335 (1970) Cherry / Session Sessionnette75 (British amp 1987) / Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin / Cort L100

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just wondering who everyone thinks the best living bass player is? Victor Wooten has my vote, but I'm just getting into the world of bass so would like to check out the other greats. GO!
    Everyone mentioned are great players...how about Jack Casady?