Thread: Playing backing tracks loud enough to match amp

Basic Member

Default Playing backing tracks loud enough to match amp

What do I need to connect my Mac to PA system so that I can play backing tracks loud enough to match my amp ?

Would a USB mixer connected to some speakers do the trick ? This would be a great topic for someone to cover on JamPlay as I have search the web and asked in music shops and have yet to be given a straight answer.

Basic Member

I use a TEAC portable DVD player which plugs into my PA system via RCA connection. I use the AV out and just connect the red and white connectors leaving the yellow one loose. This also works the same way through my Marshal amp.
    The TEAC player plays CD MP3 memory stick and DVD's. The DVD facility I use for vocal karaoke back tracks and stand the portable player on a music stand.

Have a look on this link http://www.harveynorman.com.au/teac-...el-screen.html

Basic Member

Thanks for the feedback Viv but I want to be able to connect my laptop to a PA system so that I can control backing tracks in loops using tools like Garage Band or Pro Tool. I have been told that mixers are used for capturing sound not sending it out but I have seen some USB mixers advertise this functionality but I would like someones real advice before I rush out and buy one.

Basic Member

I did an experiment and connected from my Desktop PC earphone output to my PA system and it works well.

What you will need is a cable with a stereo jack on one end to fit into the earphone output of the laptop and two RCA plugs on the other end to connect to the PA system. Most PA systems have RCA red and white inputs.

It's not a good idea to connect powered equipment such as CD players or laptops into the PA microphone input so don't be tempted to go that route.