Thread: melody & scales

Premium Member

Default melody & scales

Hi Steve

I'm starting to develop an interest in being able to play some decent lead guitar and was just watching one of your videos on the subject.

Something thats confounded me for some time is this: When a song changes chords, does the scale change with it? In other words, if a song goes from a D to an A chord, would I start with the D scale, then shift to the A scale, to be able to find the notes for that chord?

This scale business is extremely confusing and I think thats partly why so many people (me included) try to ignore it for as long as they can.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Prince View Post
    Hi Steve

I'm starting to develop an interest in being able to play some decent lead guitar and was just watching one of your videos on the subject.

Something thats confounded me for some time is this: When a song changes chords, does the scale change with it? In other words, if a song goes from a D to an A chord, would I start with the D scale, then shift to the A scale, to be able to find the notes for that chord?

This scale business is extremely confusing and I think thats partly why so many people (me included) try to ignore it for as long as they can.
    Hi Larry,

I think this article will explain it better than I can. I hope it helps!

Login to JamPlay.com | Member Area