Thread: Lead guitar

Basic Member

Default Lead guitar

Hello,
    I am a new member and I consider myself an intermediate player. But I am not good at lead guitar. Anyone have any suggestions where I should start and the best way to learn lead guitar? I do not own an electric guitar, just an acoustic electric with no amp at the moment. Thanks.

JamPlay Instructor

well, there are a LOT of lessons on here that focus on this topic. All of Dave Weiner's lessons are good, but it helps if you have a small background with scales and the neck.

I have a lead series that starts small, with simple one octave soloing in major and minor, but gets into some techniques as well. There are also two original solos, one beginner/intermediate and one advanced, to learn as well.

Basic Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Dennis. I will definitely check your course out.

For lead guitar I found the learning the pentatonic scales (minor and major) and the blues scale was an essential start. BUT that wasn't enough on its own - once I'd got to grips with that the lead playing didn't start to become effective and sound any good until I managed to do some effective ear training that allowed me to develop the abilty to play what I could hear in my head. Before that second step it was just pretty aimless widdling about.

My own musical style didn't start to become apparent till taht second stage either.

I also recommend extensive work with playing improvs on backing tracks and trying to play lead lines that relate to what is happening on the backing, particularly musically interesting ones like David Wallimann's here in JamPlay backing track section.
    "Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...bandID=1022506

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vikingblues View Post
    For lead guitar I found the learning the pentatonic scales (minor and major) and the blues scale was an essential start. BUT that wasn't enough on its own - once I'd got to grips with that the lead playing didn't start to become effective and sound any good until I managed to do some effective ear training that allowed me to develop the abilty to play what I could hear in my head. Before that second step it was just pretty aimless widdling about.

My own musical style didn't start to become apparent till taht second stage either.

I also recommend extensive work with playing improvs on backing tracks and trying to play lead lines that relate to what is happening on the backing, particularly musically interesting ones like David Wallimann's here in JamPlay backing track section.
    Thanks for your input Vikingblues. Much appreciated. Jeff