Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy an electric guitar

Default Looking to buy an electric guitar

I am looking to buy a solid body electric guitar. This will be my first electric and I am new to playing. My budget is $100-$200. I have been looking around at sweetwater.com and guitarcenter.com. The two guitars that I have been looking at is a Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Vintage Sunburst) and a Ibanez GRX20Z. If anyone has any suggestions about either one of these or of anything else within that price range, please let me know.

Guitar Fetish has a nice copy of the Ibanez. $189

Ibanez look-alike

That one looks nice John. How good are the guitars from Guitar Fetish? I am a total newbie.

I would concur with John I know several people who have bought the Xavier line from Guitar Fetish they are truly great guitar's if you don't mind dealing with a Floyd Rose which is surely a learning process.. If you do not need a Trem then I would sugest going with one of the other Xaver models they are the best bang for the buck I have seen.

I have also been looking at the Squier Bullet Strat's. Are they any good or would the Xavier's be better?

Premium Member

Although a little bit higher in the price range ($299) - the squier classic vibe series is fantastic for the price - especially the Telecaster.

Basic Member

I just started in December and picked up one of these:

Amazon.com: Squier by Fender BulletStrat HSS w/Trem, Black: Musical Instruments

If you look it up on GC's website there's a ton of reviews on it. It arrived pretty much ready to play (I did change the strings, i think it came with 9's on it). But i'm very happy with it. Great bang for the buck.

Try going used, Kijiji want ads is great. For that kind of budget you can get a decent Epiphone SG, or Squire, Ibanez Gio and the list goes on and on. Lots of people get new entry level guitars, find out how hard it is to actually learn to play and then dump the next to new instruments for a loss.
    Rog

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up getting an Ibanez GRX70QA Ibanez.com | Electric Guitars | GRX70QA and a Fender Mustang II amp.

Premium Member

I think you will be happy with this guitar. What color did you buy?
    My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.