Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Jam Time

Good point from Jim. Check youtube for a great video from John Mayer where he talks of the guitar players he has "ripped off." And I admit to enjoying "ripping off" Jim Deeming's Windy & Warm and Wayfaring Stranger. Those two lessons have worked into other songs I do also.

Free Member (Wimp!)

I am 49 and played at the guitar for about 6 months when I was 14. I quit because my fingers hurt, it was hard, and I was having more fun with my firends. Well now my kids are grown and gone most of the time and my wife works management at a restaurant so I have alot of hours alone to myself. I have been with Jamplay since June and it has helped alot getting me back started again. I feel I do need an instructor to ask those spur on the moment questions or for them to correct any issues I may run into. I love playing and just hope I can soon play something the family reconizes so it will quite the nay sayers.

Premium Member

I took early retirement from my IT job at 52 and at 54 decided to learn guitar before arthritis in my hands stops me. Bought a Fender Strat and a Taylor 814ce and wish I could spend more than the £100,00 per month I'm spending on instructor as he can see and point out where I'm going wrong with how my fingering etc is before my body 'learns' the wrong way.
    As this site cannot; I use justinguitar.com to learn songs from.

Free Member (Wimp!)

I'm 45 and I've always wanted to learn the piano and the guitar. I've been pecking around on the piano and found I needed a diversion so I am starting to learn guitar. Will probably never be 'good' at either but I'm sure having fun!

Premium Member

Hey Kerryokie,
    I am 63. I started playing in the late 1960's, but I didn't learn much...just a few chords...and I quit playing about a year later. A year ago, I started again. Guess it is something I always wanted to do. I found Jam Play by accident and have really been enjoying it. I feel like I have progressed, but there is so much to learn. I am also taking lessons from a really cool instructor. That's fun, too, but Jam Play has so much content and you get a lot for the money. Good luck in your lessons. Enjoy it all. Life is short.
    Steve

Free Member (Wimp!)

Wow, thought I was the only 62 year old who still feels 18 at heart

Basic Member

Head Bang Never too late, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryokie View Post
    I took up guitar at the age of 56 because it was on my bucket list. Just wondering if there are any more older students out there. My uncle taught me a little when I was in my early teens but when he unexpectedly took his own life when I was 16, I associated guitar with him so much that I never picked up the guitar again. When the kids were growing up all the extra money was spent on them. Now that I have a bit of extra moula and have the time to do it, I am enjoying learning a new skill
    I started playing in my 30's took some lessons and played a bit over the years but eventually got caught up in life, kids, work etc. Everyone once in a while I have picked up the guitar and stuck to it for a few months here and there but always let life get in the way. I am back at it with a new attitude, I think as long as we are willing to work at we can succeed at any age. Going to stick at it this time and with the help of Jam play I think I will never look back. It is always hard when we look back and say I wish I had done this or I had stuck with something but didn't.

I am now 50 and realize more than ever that there is no time like the present. Good luck and have fun.

Free Member (Wimp!)

I am 42 yrs old and finally caught the "bug". I would have never thought the guitar could be so relaxing. It helps slow my racing brain. 2 of my 4 children go to a private instructor for lessons leaving me with just enough $ left over to afford JamPlay. I wouldn't trade this for anything right now. I feel like this is an incredible deal and I can't seem to get enough. It makes me happy to see so many people starting later in life. Good luck to everyone on here.
    Last edited by tslake; 10-27-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Found the other 4 pages to this thread

I joined this past Spring...I'm 55 and have rheumatoid arthritis...but the learning is going slow but sure...I'm at the mercy of my hands...but keeping at it. =)

Free Member (Wimp!)

I'm 57, and am just starting guitar. I've been playing piano for 50 years and have been a pro musician since I was 18. I started Ukulele a year and a half ago, but decided to go for the full-on stringed instrument experience!

Rob