Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

I never considered myself in my "later years", but I guess at 49 that could be considered late (r), but sure don't feel it.

Anyway, been playing for a year, on JamPlay for a couple months and learning more now than with a live instructor. Been playing at church- the easier songs as I still have a long way to go, but that is the fun of it- playing with folks and seeing and hearing and FEELING the progress. Played sax years ago so I had some music backgournd.

I try to practice every day but hard with kids still at home and working full time. That's what is nice about JamPlay- you move on when you are ready. I try to do at least one lesson a week- perfect that one then move on, so slow going right now. I'm with Steve now but want to try some others later. I hear they all are good.

Premium Member

Arrow

I also am an older student at almost 61. I had no one to show me anything very much music wise.Got my first fender at age 13. Taught myself through the tab books that were out. You can learn chords with almost any music book. Got good enough to play a little with country style. Have had several good guitars along the way. Started and stopped many times. The youngsters practice much more than I ever had time for. That seems to be the big difference is haw much I practice. They have said on the live chat that it takes something like 10,000 hours to learn. Sure hope I have time.

I'm 56. I began playing acoustic guitar shortly after I got married as I no longer could play drums due to apartment living. Because of life experiences and lack of discipline, I never stuck with it, stopping and starting many times. A few months ago I decided with stubbornness and confidence that this time I was going to stick with playing no matter what. So far so good. Fingerstyle has always been a favorite of mine and I was immediately drawn to Jim's lessons. Jessica's voice training lessons were a draw as well, helping me to find my voice.

41 here....just started 2 months ago. Usual story....grew up a jock, got hooked on computer games, career, family.....finally buckling down and focusing.

Having a blast!!!!

I told my wife I'm going to be jamming out to Metallica in the old folks home. :rockout:

I played bluegrass banjo for a number of years and decided to switch over to guitar this past February. I'm 63 and retired so I have the time to practice at least 2-3 hours per day. Having the banjo background has at least given me a head start as far as hearing chord changes and having tough enough fingertips, so even though there are more strings to deal with, I feel like I'm making good progress. I spend about equal amounts of time between fingerpicking blues and flatpicking bluegrass.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kerryokie View Post
    I took up guitar at the age of 56 because it was on my bucket list. Just wondering if there are any more older students out there. My uncle taught me a little when I was in my early teens but when he unexpectedly took his own life when I was 16, I associated guitar with him so much that I never picked up the guitar again. When the kids were growing up all the extra money was spent on them. Now that I have a bit of extra moula and have the time to do it, I am enjoying learning a new skill
    Well, Kerryoke, I decided about three years ago to put in a good effort at learning at least enough about the guitar that I could enjoy it. Sometimes I have to put it down for a while because I'm still working and this has hampered my progress somewhat. But , overall, I am very pleased with my progress and enjoy it more every day. What the heck, I'll only be 68 next month. GO FOR IT!!!

Basic Member

I am 62 and I love it. Retired and just catching up on the few things I have always wanted to learn to do. #1 play a guitar.....lol. I love it.

Basic Member

I played a few months as a kid; had a horrible instructor and stopped. Didn't pick it up again until 50 with a class at the local Community college. Discovered Jamplay and joined a local Bluegrass club recently. I'm now 53 and having a blast with it.

Premium Member

Like many of you, starting playing in collage in the 70's learning all the basic Dylan stuff, and got bored playing the same stuff and not learning anything new. Played on and off over the next 30+ years, but 3 years ago discovered jamplay! It just makes it easy and takes away the excuses. I practice a minimum of an hour a day and just love it. I'm 57. Can't imagine not playing now! Sounds like a paid ad for jamplay!

Premium Member

OK - I'm 61 amd learning and like you, the kids are grown and gone. I have a musical backgound which helps. I'm not retired yet so I still juggle work and play. I'm looking forward to the day when I can spend my days with the guitar and the computer and learn, learn, learn. Have fun.