Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    Basic Member

Default Anybody else learning in their later years

I took up guitar at the age of 56 because it was on my bucket list. Just wondering if there are any more older students out there. My uncle taught me a little when I was in my early teens but when he unexpectedly took his own life when I was 16, I associated guitar with him so much that I never picked up the guitar again. When the kids were growing up all the extra money was spent on them. Now that I have a bit of extra moula and have the time to do it, I am enjoying learning a new skill

Quote Originally Posted by kerryokie View Post
    I took up guitar at the age of 56 because it was on my bucket list. Just wondering if there are any more older students out there. My uncle taught me a little when I was in my early teens but when he unexpectedly took his own life when I was 16, I associated guitar with him so much that I never picked up the guitar again. When the kids were growing up all the extra money was spent on them. Now that I have a bit of extra moula and have the time to do it, I am enjoying learning a new skill
    Hi Kerryokie, I am 55 now and am enjoying having a bash. Finding the time to practice is not easy so I don't feel I am making much headway, but still enjoying it.

I am sorry to hear your story, and can understand the association. I hope that you will enjoy your time here and manage to learn some stuff.

Anthony.
    "It's not easy being an idiot ... but I try. " ~ ~ Miche Fambro.

Premium Member

I don't know if anyone else would agree that 46 should be considered later years. I am now 46 and have only been learning guitar for the last 3yrs. My deal was that no person in my family or friends was every really interested in music at all so I never even considered it. Just over 3 years ago I was playing a bunch of Video games on my TV (Wii) and I picked up Guitar Hero III. I found that I had trouble getting the groove down at the start but with a little perseverance I was able to get quite good.

Three weeks later a coworker asked me what I thought about learning to play real guitar. I had to reflect on the question and told him that I had never even thought that it would be possible for me to learn to play guitar for real. He is a bass player and helped me decide on a starter guitar and I have never looked back. I love playing my guitar, I like to check out the live lessons here at JamPlay, and I am getting quite good and having more fun than I though possible.

Good Luck and hope to chat with you more here on the forums or live lessons. I prefer the lessons with Mark Lincoln, Chris Liepe, David Walliman, Kenny "Blue" Ray, and the Metallica lessons with Dennis Hodges.

Plenty of oldsters here. I'm 63 and just started a year ago. Still a newbie. I had a few lessons after I finished high school, didn't do much with it and sold my guitar a few years later. No one in my family had any musical background. Glad I finally got back into it and wish I hadn't waited so long.

Free Member (Wimp!)

I am 63 as well. It's a great hobby though it is not easy. I'm sure it would be easier when your a teenager.

This site is excellent.

Jerry

Free Member (Wimp!)

Jam Time Your never too old

Im glad to see that Im not the only "elder' out here pulling on these strings attempting to make music. (?) I remember when I was 14 years old and skipping school and going to a friends home where his "wayward" uncle was strumming on the guitar. I learned what I thought was a chord or something like that and I promptly forgot it...That was some 53 years ago.....A lot has happened since then, joined the navy, saw the world, with a few bars and back alleys in between, had a few beers here and there and married a lady that for whatever reason is still with me after 46 years. I sit here now retired and with time on my hands and with the desire to progress beyond that one lonely chord from years ago.....Who knows,only time will tell..Been with Jamplay for a little over three months, a bargain in my estimation. Im learning more each and every day. Doing the beginner course with Mark Breenan. Ive promised myself not to jump ahead without the proper structure behind me... I wish the best to everyone out there trying to improve themselves in this mighty endeavor........hambone63376

Basic Member

Ive been learning on & off for donkeys years & now at 47 Im still learning...I guess its a never ending learning process the main thing is to enjoy it!

Started guitar at the end of January this year, turned 61 in June. Being retired, I am able to spend a bit of every day on the guitar. Just the past few weeks my progressions and strumming patterns and technique have come together well enough for me to be banging out some good old 60's folk songs.

Doing well on One Tin Soldier, almost got the B chord fast enough for PUff the Magic Dragon and can do strumming version of House of the Rising Sun. Trying to sing with them too ha ha ha. Two weeks ago led the gang at my wife's birthday party in a rendition of Happy Birthday, everyone loved it, even something simple as that.

Love Hawkeye and Kenny Blue Ray for blues, working on Eve's fingerpicking and have taken a bit from almost every instructor here.
    Rog

Quote Originally Posted by prsed View Post
    Ive been learning on & off for donkeys years & now at 47 Im still learning...I guess its a never ending learning process the main thing is to enjoy it!
    The same for me, except I'm now 56. How in hell did that happen!! This recent spell of learning has gone so much better than any of the previous attempts - JamPlay has a lot to do with that - really enjoying it all.

I'm still learning and know I will be for as long as I can keep on playing.
    "Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...bandID=1022506

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by kerryokie View Post
    I am so glad to see so many "adults" learning the guitar. I feel ashamed that I am only 42 and have been learning for 3 years. I practice for a least an hour a day and progress is coming. Just when I feel that I am getting better, I walk into a Guitar Center and see some kid just tearing it up. Oh well, the time will come for me.