PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rhythms & timing

slicklee2c
08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I have been playing guitar for 8 years. I have learned alot of technical skills but, my timing is not up to par. I've tryed everything that i can think of. I have trouble keeping count and preforming the most basic rhythms in time.

I have tried using a metronome but I cant stay in time for a very long time.

Do you have any ideas on how i can finely learn to stay in time

OldCrow
08-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Slick,

Are you speeding ahead of the metronome or falling behind?

When I have found myself getting ahead of the time it seems to be because I have trained myself (without intention) to do so by practicing a section without regard to time just so I can get the mechanics down. One thing that helps me slow back down is to tap my foot in time, along with the metronome.

When I am losing time it is because I am searching for a string, either with my pick or left hand, in which case slowing down (setting a lower tempo) is indicated.

I have also noticed that making certain I have my thumb anchored on the back of the neck, the guitar supported by a strap, and my rlght hand anchored by the position of my right forearm all make it easier for me to keep time by minimizing unsteady movement.

Hope that helps some.

OC

Sylvia
08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
bravo!! OC!

one thing that you didn't mention is to count. I have recently found my self counting with out thinking about it.