PDA

View Full Version : Help!

kdubs21
07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Mark,
I just started your lessons and am a completely new guitar player. I just have a quick question. When practicing my strumming of the open chords am I supposed to strum all the strings or just the ones in the chord? It seems impossible when strumming an A chord to avoid the low E string. I feel like it sounds terrible. Thanks.

Sylvia
07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Kdub

You just strum the ones in the chord. It takes a lot of precise practice to get good at just strumming from the A string down. Slow down a bit and be deliberate. It will come.

Sylv

badaxe
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Another thing you can do while playing the open A chord is to use your thumb on your fretting hand to mute the low E string so it doesn't ring if you strike it. But definitely keep working with the picking hand as well so you can hit the strings you need to on command.

mclend1
07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
"A"men to the advice.

kdubs21
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks, this is all a bit overwhelming but I am sure that I will get it in time.

Mark.Lincoln
07-26-2008, 01:52 PM
KDub, thanks for writing in. Yes it can be tough to just strum the notes in that particular chord and all of us make chords that sound, well, not so good. One way to help this is by repositioning your strum hand with your pick centered right around the first string that you want to strum. In other words, if you're going to play an open D (for example) your strum hand should be resting in the middle of your six strings, right around where the D-string crosses the sound hole. Be aware of your strum hand in relation to the chord you are playing and this could help you. Keep practicing! Thanks, Mark