PDA

View Full Version : A Shape Barre Chord

fatboystrat
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I posted this question in the Barre Chord Lesson forum, but maybe it would be better placed here.

Anyway, when I play an A shape barre chord, I cannot bend the 1st knuckle of my ring finger to cover all three strings without muting the high E. So, over time I just started using my pinky to press down on the three strings and it seems to work fine for me. BUT, I am worried that by developing this habit, I will interfere with something down the road. Is using my pinky O.K. for this barre shape, or should I do whatever it takes to break this habit?

Thanks,
Brad

mav67
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey man, I have a similar problem and back in the day I posted a Q&A for the instructors which was answered by quite a few of them, they will still be there if you check back. Some of them really helped me out, check them out. Perserverence seems to be the order of the day. Good luck, but definitly check out those Q & A archive, I know they are there.

dfrye4
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Ofcourse I'm no expert but I think you're right. I have seen people form barre chords and then extend that pinkie for like.. boogie rhythms and such.

Sylvia
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
hmm...

My ring finger doesn't bend that way either, so I just barre two strings with that and use the pinky to press the last one down.

I guess it depends on what style you are playing... in fingerstyle like Deeming teaches... you need that finger available for melody notes.

nessa
07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey man, I have a similar problem and back in the day I posted a Q&A for the instructors which was answered by quite a few of them, they will still be there if you check back. Some of them really helped me out, check them out. Perserverence seems to be the order of the day. Good luck, but definitly check out those Q & A archive, I know they are there.

I'll make it easy :D

Check these video answers out. Like Mav says, they're all about the A Shape Barre chord!

http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=87
http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=85
http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=97

fatboystrat
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help!

I watched the videos and I am going to try several of the suggestions and see which ones are easier for me. It's funny because my ring finger doesn't bend enough, but my 4th finger almost looks deformed when I use it in that position.

I think it's pretty amazing watching some of those guys play the same chord with 3 or more different shapes with no effort at all......

Thanks Again!
Brad

steveeulberg
07-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi Brad,

everyone's hands are put together a bit differently, so one reason that some of us play with several chord shapes is that we can get to and from the chords better in some shapes, OR, we like the voicing of the chord tones that different shapes provide, OR, our hands are getting crampy, OR, we're just a little bit bored....OK, those are my experiences, anyway. Keep at it and let us know what works for yoU!

Steve