PDA

View Full Version : Proficiency Question

aaronhouk
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Brad

I'm currently working through your phase 2 classic rock lessons. My question is, "How proficient should I become before moving on"?

I have the first and second position (in lesson 11 I think) - anyway I have the scale memorized.

It sounds about as awesome as a 5th grader playing clarinet. I hit all the notes correctly, but by no means does it shred. I know speed will come with time and practice, and I'll start tackling some of Matt & Dennis's finger exercises soon.

My actual question here is - Should I just keep pushing forward; or hang out here until my speed, and ability to shift between positions hits a certain level?

Thanks,
Aaron

itsmekeuh
06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
When you feel comfortable playing whatever you've learned at a certain speed,
you can proceed to another lesson.

In order to increase speed you will have to regularly (daily) train the excercises learned before,
and increase the tempo each day, pushing yourself a little over the edge.
Then back down a little.
Of course you dont have to practice ALL the exercises ALL the time, but you know what I mean :-)
You will see eventually that as you go on and proceed to more difficult lessons,
the ones you learned before are getting easier and easier even at much higher speeds.

Sylvia
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I use this as a rule of thumb. If you can play it accurately and smoothly while your eyes are closed at a relatively moderate speed AND name the notes while doing so.... move on. If not add it to your daily warm up routine.

David.MacKenzie
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
hey Aaron, once you have the basic patterns pretty much memorized, and can hit things even at a slow accuracy somewhat, i say move on and build up your guitar lick vocabulary riffwise with a new technique or warm up.
i have been playing a while, and i am always working on building speed even with licks i have played awhile back. the speed will like you said, take awhile to develop, so if your fairly proficient/accurate with what you know now, keep progressing. speed stuff is a time issue mostly, with practise and dicipline being 2 key ingredients. i am sure brad has more to add on this subject.

Brad.Henecke
06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
hey Aaron, once you have the basic patterns pretty much memorized, and can hit things even at a slow accuracy somewhat, i say move on and build up your guitar lick vocabulary riffwise with a new technique or warm up.
i have been playing a while, and i am always working on building speed even with licks i have played awhile back. the speed will like you said, take awhile to develop, so if your fairly proficient/accurate with what you know now, keep progressing. speed stuff is a time issue mostly, with practise and dicipline being 2 key ingredients. i am sure brad has more to add on this subject.What Dave said ! LOL you will allways be working on the scales .Play through the scales every day and build up new licks .When you are first improvising concentrate on playing with good feeling . play with feeling, Put more emotion in the music. Don’t worry to much about speed .When you try to play to fast at first its like watching a typist on a typewriter move around the keys really fast and you get nothing out of it .Build Licks , Play with feeling , Speed will come with time .

aaronhouk
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thrashing my way through message in a bottle now :)