PDA

View Full Version : Ok, a Dennis Forum with no Dennis Postings.

badaxe
05-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Cmon Dennis, where are you? No posts in your own forum? Lets get the metal forum ROLLING.

Do you like Bullet For My Valentine? I have recently jst started listening to them, but think they are an excellent metal band. Really digging the guitar riffs. Anwayz, you a fan?

VinnyB
05-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Cmon Dennis, where are you? No posts in your own forum? Lets get the metal forum ROLLING.

Do you like Bullet For My Valentine? I have recently jst started listening to them, but think they are an excellent metal band. Really digging the guitar riffs. Anwayz, you a fan?

Props to you dude, we do need some posts in this forum. Dennis just made a trip to the "Akron" JamPlay studio (even though its in Kent, never could figure that one out but anyway) and filmed a mini-marathon of lessons with Chris and yours truly. These lessons are sick, from a phase 2 and phase 3 point of view. Dennis is a metal machine and all in all just an amazing guitar player across the whole fretboard, no pun intended. About BFMValentine, I haven't heard much of them, maybe its time to check em' out. Chris is hooked on Darkest Hour, I heard them a few years back and liked what I heard but never really dove into them. The old Dawson is jamming them at a very steady pace and their new material is killer. We still melt our own faces off every time we jam the new Meshuggah album, it is phenomenal to say the least.

VinnyB out!

cheesebomb
05-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Whooooo Denniisssss

badaxe
05-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Props to you dude, we do need some posts in this forum. Dennis just made a trip to the "Akron" JamPlay studio (even though its in Kent, never could figure that one out but anyway) and filmed a mini-marathon of lessons with Chris and yours truly. These lessons are sick, from a phase 2 and phase 3 point of view. Dennis is a metal machine and all in all just an amazing guitar player across the whole fretboard, no pun intended. About BFMValentine, I haven't heard much of them, maybe its time to check em' out. Chris is hooked on Darkest Hour, I heard them a few years back and liked what I heard but never really dove into them. The old Dawson is jamming them at a very steady pace and their new material is killer. We still melt our own faces off every time we jam the new Meshuggah album, it is phenomenal to say the least.

VinnyB out!

Tried to get into Meshuggah, but just don't dig that vocal style. I need more singing in my metal. BFMV does do some screaming, but they have a lot of singing as well. Go to youtube and check out the video's for Waking The Demon, Scream Aim Fire, and Hearts Burst Into Fire. 3 awesome tunes by them.

They also do 2 kickass Metallica covers. Creeping Death, and Sanitarium.

jbooth
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Tried to get into Meshuggah, but just don't dig that vocal style. I need more singing in my metal. BFMV does do some screaming, but they have a lot of singing as well. Go to youtube and check out the video's for Waking The Demon, Scream Aim Fire, and Hearts Burst Into Fire. 3 awesome tunes by them.

They also do 2 kickass Metallica covers. Creeping Death, and Sanitarium.That's the same thing that turns me off of a lot of metal. I can't stand the songs where its 80%+ screaming :<

bator82
05-25-2008, 01:53 PM
That's the same thing that turns me off of a lot of metal. I can't stand the songs where its 80%+ screaming :<

Hehehe, Devil Driver is 100% screaming, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Once, someone from Dez's record label called him and said "You have to sing clean on this album" And he hung up on him hehehe. Gotta admire a guy who won't compromise his artistic vision for record label demands.

dennis.hodges
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Various opinions of bands...

I haven't heard anything by BFMV that's blown me away. It's hard to get into newer bands since I've grown really picky about music. The newest band I've liked is Gojira, from France. A good mix of Tool-Meshuggah-Morbid Angel, but not AS crazy as Meshuggah (a sweet band as well). Almost all screaming. I really like their current album, Ocean Planet, which a student copied for me.

My faves haven't really changed over the years. You cannot fail with Pantera. I'll probably always dig Metallica and Megadeth, but not nearly as much as I did when I was 14. I'm a bigger fan of Sepultura, as far as thrash stuff.

I also really like death metal (Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel), and in the past couple of years I've been checking out more grindcore/noise stuff. The Dillinger Escape Plan is awesome. I just heard an instrumental band from New York, I think, called Disrhythmia. The stuff on their MySpace page is pretty sweet.

I don't like "anti-riff" stuff, like Psyopus, but I do like ugly stuff such as the Locust.

I still haven't really made up my mind on Between the Buried and Me. It's very technical, which is exciting, but they throw so many good ideas away in a single song. That's kind of why I got away from Dream Theater in high school (that and I hate the singer's voice).

My favorite band, hands down though, is Mr. Bungle. Not metal at all, just a heads up.

guitarman2064
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Alright! another mr Bungie fan!!!:)

guitarman2064
07-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Sry, typo Mr. Bungle... been playing tooo much halo