PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Jazz?

rblgenius
05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey Matt,

I enjoy your jazz series set as I am joining my jazz band as a guitarist next year at my school and I was wondering if you could keep working on setting up more jazz lessons!

Some in my mind:
1. Substituting unknown or rare chords with a known form (the #6's etc)
2. Jazz apregrios and tying apregios with scales (I think you may have one on this but it was a little unclear)

I'll think of more later.

mattbrown
05-12-2008, 07:35 PM
This will all be taught in the jazz series soon. Thanks for your interest. Here's a quick preview of what i'm filming over the next two months or so:

2 jazz lessons: one on solo repertoire and one on "all of me." (I'll discuss some substitution ideas here I'm sure.)
2 rock lessons: one on technique, the other on improvisation
2 phase 3 srv songs
4 reading and rhythm lessons.

rblgenius
05-13-2008, 06:28 AM
This will all be taught in the jazz series soon. Thanks for your interest. Here's a quick preview of what i'm filming over the next two months or so:

2 jazz lessons: one on solo repertoire and one on "all of me." (I'll discuss some substitution ideas here I'm sure.)
2 rock lessons: one on technique, the other on improvisation
2 phase 3 srv songs
4 reading and rhythm lessons.

Oh I'm excited now. If you have time, I know a favorite song of mine is "Take Five". The substitution idea is a big thing though as I know all the more common chords maj7, m7, 7, m7b5 (working on dim7 chords and I know brad recently did a lesson on it).

Thanks for your jazz work dude keep it up :cool:

potownrob
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I haven't gotten into jazz guitar, let alone the jazz guitar series, but I used to play a lot of jazz on saxophone, older stuff like Duke Ellington and some newer songs (most probably remakes of the older stuff, like Al Jarreau's version of Take Five) in the jazz ensemble in high school. What's sad is we haven't had a jazz radio station in my area since I can remember and I listen to mainly radio, so I more or less lost touch with jazz when I stopped playing it. When I went to college in Albany (upstate NY) they had a smooth jazz station (sort of like the ones they have in NYC but not as, uhhhh, smooth i guess you could say) but at that point I was more into 80's pop and classic rock (which they had great stations for) than jazz. Now that I've been back home for a few years, it's been mainly the classic rock station keeping me company with a few doses of mix stations (mostly 70's to 90's pop) and the only time I hear jazz is when I drive down to the city :rolleyes: .

kevinace
05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah we'll be filming a lot more jazz with Matt here very soon. Stay tuned!

rblgenius
05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Sweet good stuff. Jazz and blues make rock.