PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing in Finger Excercises and When to move to next lesson?

OldCrow
04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Steve (aka Mr. Eulberg--hope "Steve" is not too informal),

I can't put into words my gratitude for your phase one lessons. Well, I could but I would sound like a cult member so let's just skip that part. Thank you for making the guitar accessible to me.

Can you help me with these two questions?

1. When practicing the finger excercises I notice I am getting a buzz when I lift my finger off the fret. At the moment I have learned to move one finger off and place the next finger on at the same time so that there is no moment when the string is open between finger changes. Is this the proper correction for that problem?

2. I don't know when I am ready to move on to the next lesson. For example, I am struggling with forming one chord (C, no surprise, eh?) but D minor and G are no problem. And I am still working on moving through chord progression. Should I wait until I master lesson 2 without struggle before moving to lesson 3 or should I press on to lesson 3 because it will actually help me in my progress wtih lesson 2?

I teach college philosophy and religion classes and often tell my students I want to know their best guess answer at their own question before I try to answer so, here goes:

Practice the exercises in Lesson 2 using the 50X rule in Lesson 3 for one week to work on forming the C chord and chord progressions.

How close am I?

Derrick

OldCrow
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I should also clarify that I am placing my fingers behind the fret in the proper position on the finger exercises. First thing I checked :).

Edit: It only seems to be on the unwound strings. My trick isn't working so well this afternoon.

Derrick

steveeulberg
04-27-2008, 03:14 PM

I can't put into words my gratitude for your phase one lessons. Well, I could but I would sound like a cult member so let's just skip that part. Thank you for making the guitar accessible to me.

1. When practicing the finger excercises I notice I am getting a buzz when I lift my finger off the fret. At the moment I have learned to move one finger off and place the next finger on at the same time so that there is no moment when the string is open between finger changes. Is this the proper correction for that problem?

2. I don't know when I am ready to move on to the next lesson. For example, I am struggling with forming one chord (C, no surprise, eh?) but D minor and G are no problem. And I am still working on moving through chord progression. Should I wait until I master lesson 2 without struggle before moving to lesson 3 or should I press on to lesson 3 because it will actually help me in my progress wtih lesson 2?

I teach college philosophy and religion classes and often tell my students I want to know their best guess answer at their own question before I try to answer so, here goes:

Practice the exercises in Lesson 2 using the 50X rule in Lesson 3 for one week to work on forming the C chord and chord progressions.

How close am I?

Derrick
Hi Derrick,

You've got a BINGO! My answer to your question about when to progress to the next lesson is the same as yours. As you work on new material you may be surprised to learn that simply by focusing on the new challenge, the previous challenge now is accessible!

Your strategy for eliminating the buzz during finger transitions is also a good one. The issue of timing for finger movement is one I didn't focus on but something we all must master. Making quick, accurate movements will help a great deal.

Press on!

Steve

OldCrow
04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Steve! The C chord is starting to come together nicely.

Derrick

OldCrow
06-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Just a quick follow-up for my fellow jamplayers on the finger buzz in the chromatic scale exercise...

I went back and watched Steve and Matt doing this type of exercise and found my problem. I was lifting one finger and leaving on open string for a second before placing my next finger.

On a piano this is no problem as the note continues to ring but with the guitar it changes the note. So, now I am placing one finger down at the same time as I lift the other one to change notes and the buzzing is gone. Also, my notes are cleaner and my finger position has improved as I am more deliberately placing them next to the fret.

OC

Sylvia
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Just a quick follow-up for my fellow jamplayers on the finger buzz in the chromatic scale exercise...

I went back and watched Steve and Matt doing this type of exercise and found my problem. I was lifting one finger and leaving on open string for a second before placing my next finger.

On a piano this is no problem as the note continues to ring but with the guitar it changes the note. So, now I am placing one finger down at the same time as I lift the other one to change notes and the buzzing is gone. Also, my notes are cleaner and my finger position has improved as I am more deliberately placing them next to the fret.

OC

Sounds like you've had an Eureka moment. It's good to see that you are progressing. Feels good doesn't it?

S

OldCrow
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Nah, it was more of a "pay attention, dummy!" moment...I went back and looked at the videos to see what was different than the way I was doing it.

Another bonus of web instruction...you can hit the replay button at four a.m. when your instructor is still sleeping...

OC

steveeulberg
06-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Nah, it was more of a "pay attention, dummy!" moment...I went back and looked at the videos to see what was different than the way I was doing it.

Another bonus of web instruction...you can hit the replay button at four a.m. when your instructor is still sleeping...

OC
And for that I am sincerely grateful!!

Steve

OldCrow
06-06-2008, 06:59 AM
LOL, now that's funny. :D

OC

Sylvia
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
And for that I am sincerely grateful!!

Steve

:confused: What? We can't call you at 1 a.m.?? LOL!!

scallywag
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Good lord I'm glad to see it’s not just me having this problem. I notice it gets better if I slow down and concentrate more on the finger switching but the problem with that is speed is significantly reduced and doesn't seem to improve over time.... :rolleyes:

Sylvia
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Good lord I'm glad to see it’s not just me having this problem. I notice it gets better if I slow down and concentrate more on the finger switching but the problem with that is speed is significantly reduced and doesn't seem to improve over time.... :rolleyes:

It does eventually. remember you are teaching your fingers to be accurate. once you are accurate... the speed comes.

criscusack
02-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi there, Steve,

I greatly enjoyed the first series of lessons, and I've found myself going back to them from time to time (I'm concerned I may have gone through too quickly, as I found them so interesting).

Anyway, my question is about struming with a flat pick. On the down strum, it seems that I can control the sound pretty well by changing the angle at which the pick attacks the string(s). If I just bring it back up the same way, I find the pick 'catches' on the strings, making for a very jagged sound and feel.

So am I supposed to reposition the pick coming back up? This would require constant swiveling of the wrist, which neither you nor any teacher has ever said anything about, and I've never even seen done. It seems that everyone else that plays guitar can get down and upstrokes to both sound great except me, and it's a little frustrating!

I will stick with it, though. I find it very rewarding. Any help you or anyone else can give will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

--Cris

Sylvia
02-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi there, Steve,

I greatly enjoyed the first series of lessons, and I've found myself going back to them from time to time (I'm concerned I may have gone through too quickly, as I found them so interesting).

Anyway, my question is about struming with a flat pick. On the down strum, it seems that I can control the sound pretty well by changing the angle at which the pick attacks the string(s). If I just bring it back up the same way, I find the pick 'catches' on the strings, making for a very jagged sound and feel.

So am I supposed to reposition the pick coming back up? This would require constant swiveling of the wrist, which neither you nor any teacher has ever said anything about, and I've never even seen done. It seems that everyone else that plays guitar can get down and upstrokes to both sound great except me, and it's a little frustrating!

I will stick with it, though. I find it very rewarding. Any help you or anyone else can give will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

--Cris

Hi Chris... this is a pretty old thread so I'm not sure Steve will see yoru question.

Here is a Video Q&A where this very question was fielded by Nick Greathouse. Hope it helps

http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=361&search_text=pick+angle

Here's one from Dmac...same subject.
http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=42&search_text=pick+angle

Here's another that might help you.

http://www.jamplay.com/members/guitar/ask/view-response.html?id=113&search_text=pick+angle

sbryant
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Derrick, good thread. I was also wondering when to move from lesson to lesson so now I have the answer. You are correct in your approach as Steve outlined. I found the same thing going on with my style way back when and quick and smooth finger movements along with economy of movement cured the problem. However, there are times when you do want the string to ring by fretting the string a little longer but I am sure you know that. Anyway, thanks for your questions as you may be asking for millions of us!!!!