PDA

View Full Version : Question about the "Patience" video lesson

badaxe
03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Matt, 1st off, I really like your lessons. And when you were 1st doing the intro to Patience, I could not help but whistle. And of course, just as I started whistling, you looked right into the camera and said "Feel free to whistle". I busted out laughing pretty hard, as did my wife who was in the room at the time. LOL

Anyway, here is my point of discussion. I loved learning the song, and I love playing the chords, as it is a very pretty song. I had not actually listened to the song for a while, so after completing your lesson, I went and fired up the song. During the intro, I do not hear them playing the chords at all. I hear single string picking within the chords listed, but no matter how hard I listen, I just don't hear either guitarist playing the actual chords. I guess I am saying the intro sounds more like an intro solo then an intro with chords. The only time I really hear the actual chords being played is during the chorus and lead parts of the song.

So what I am asking is, am I correct on this, or am I just not hearing it for some reason. And if I am correct, is there any chance on revising the lesson to include how the intro is actually played with the solo picking? I guess I can just go look up the tabs and figure it out on my own, but I find it much easier to follow along with the video lessons than figuring out the tabs on my own.

Thanks for reading,
Scott

badaxe
03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Any thoughts on this Matt? Did you take a listen to the song?

David.MacKenzie
03-20-2008, 11:36 PM
i know matt will defintely let you know what was going on here for "patience", but i thought as another instructor i'd throw my 2 cents in.
yes, you are mostly right about the beginning of the song. if you listen there are at least 2 guitars if not 3 on the intro. 1 strums down on the basic chords once, 2nd guitar picks a pattern within the chord structure, while slash lays down the modest solo acoustic style. parts 1 and 2 can mostly likely be done as 1 part together. the lead is all its own thing. i think matt was laying the intro down so one guitar player sitting by him/herself can actually play a version of the tune. it would'nt be easy to lay down all 3 parts into one like that. probably would'nt sound too good. i am positve matt listened to the song, and knows how it goes. to me anyway, this version makes it easy for the newest player just starting out to play the song.
if you ask matt perdy please, he might show you the other parts as well! lol!
anyway, i'll shut up now!!! :)

mattbrown
03-21-2008, 01:38 AM
what dave said.

badaxe
03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Any thoughts on this Matt? Did you take a listen to the song?

Dave thanx for the info. For some reason when I listen to the song, I just can not hear the chords being played in the into, I only hear the solo parts. And lol, when I asked Matt if he took a listen to the song, I did not mean did he ever listen to it, I just meant since I asked my question, if maybe he went back and took a listen. I remember him saying during one lesson (forget which) that it had been a while since he listened to the song, so thats all I meant. :headbang:

But thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

David.MacKenzie
03-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Dave thanx for the info. For some reason when I listen to the song, I just can not hear the chords being played in the into, I only hear the solo parts. And lol, when I asked Matt if he took a listen to the song, I did not mean did he ever listen to it, I just meant since I asked my question, if maybe he went back and took a listen. I remember him saying during one lesson (forget which) that it had been a while since he listened to the song, so thats all I meant. :headbang:

But thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
hey no problem! i did'nt think you meant it in any bad way either, you were just trying to get an answer, and i did'nt mean to take away any of matt's
thunder as a teacher, i just happen to be looking at the thread, and thought i'd give my view on the subject! lol! i am kinda nosey sometimes!!!! :)

badaxe
03-22-2008, 03:26 AM
hey no problem! i did'nt think you meant it in any bad way either, you were just trying to get an answer, and i did'nt mean to take away any of matt's
thunder as a teacher, i just happen to be looking at the thread, and thought i'd give my view on the subject! lol! i am kinda nosey sometimes!!!! :)

Well I appreciate your nosiness, especially since you are on of my fav's here on Jamplay. I was awaiting an answer from Matt but you got to it first. I must say that I follow you and Matt the most, although I am digging the Slack Key as well, puts me in a good mood. lol. But I am an 80's metal head at heart and you and Matt seem to teach what I like the most. Looking forward to both of your upcoming lessons. Thanx again Dave, and also Matt. You guys have really revived the desire in me to play guitar again. Rock On!!!.

David.MacKenzie
03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
your most welcome! we are here to teach, inspire, motivate, and just be good guitar friends!!!!! Rock on!!!! or as we say in our band, Metal On!!!

johndavis
05-27-2008, 12:24 PM
hi there, have you got any tips or a breakdown of the strumming pattern for this. ill keep on practicing in the mean time. im sure ill get it sometime. thanks in advance.

mattbrown
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
hi there, have you got any tips or a breakdown of the strumming pattern for this. ill keep on practicing in the mean time. im sure ill get it sometime. thanks in advance.

My advice is to learn how to read music (well at least rhythm). The strumming will naturally follow.

maxamus
07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Matt

I have just joined Jamplay and have had a look at your patience video lesson and its great, ive been trying to learn this song since i started playing guitar(4 mths) and have had no success in finding a helpfull lesson until know thanks.The only thing im having trouble with is the strumming pattern iv tried it DDuDuD but it doesnt song right can you let me know were im going wrong as the way you strum sounds exellent. thanks

kent522
01-19-2009, 04:10 AM
I was watching another song lesson and as he was palying the chords, he was also saynig the pattern. IE... down down up down up down. or 1 2&3&4&

mattbrown
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Matt

I have just joined Jamplay and have had a look at your patience video lesson and its great, ive been trying to learn this song since i started playing guitar(4 mths) and have had no success in finding a helpfull lesson until know thanks.The only thing im having trouble with is the strumming pattern iv tried it DDuDuD but it doesnt song right can you let me know were im going wrong as the way you strum sounds exellent. thanks

Hey! Thanks for the comments and question. I recently filmed a lesson in the Reading and Rhythm series that deals with counting various strumming rhythms. I also explain how and why upstrums and downstrums are applied to a specific rhythm. Basically, there are some strict rules to be followed when it comes to this stuff. Stay tuned for that lesson. I think it will help you out a lot.