PDA

View Full Version : About use Classic Guitar !

fire heart
01-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Mr.Jim !
I'm 18 years old and I'm a beginner.
As I know, Classic Guitarists will play with Classic Guitar, but in your lesson, you play with Acoutic Steel string Guitar or Rock Guitar. What is different ??

Fire Heart

Jim.Deeming
01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Hello Fire Heart,

I suspect your question stems from a couple references on the instructor profiles that my favorite genre is "Classic". I need to get that changed, as I'm not really sure what that even means.

"Classical", which IS a genre, and is also the style of guitar you are asking about, is not the style I play. Having said that, I DO occasionally use a classical guitar, when the mood or the song dictates. I can count on one hand the number of songs I play that would be considered classical songs, but the nylon strings and wide neck of a classical guitar are a nice fit for a lot of songs I play.

What kind of guitar and style are you learning?

Jim

mattbrown
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it means that Jim is a real "classic" guy. His personality is timeless.

I am a classical guitarist. Although I haven't taught any classical lessons on the site, and most likely never will, classical guitar is my primary area of expertise.

Here's some guidance regarding your question:

If you're playing classical repertoire, play it on a nylon string classical. The nylon string is also used for stuff like flamenco and Brazilian jazz. Occasionally, rock and folk players will play some stuff on a nylon string if a certain passage calls for that specific sound. "Unforgiven" by Metallica is one example that comes to mind.

A steel string acoustic is used primarily for fingerstyle bluegrass stuff (like what Steve teaches) or for fingerstyle country stuff (like what Jim plays). Chet Atkins is another great example of this style. A lot of folk-y fingerstyle stuff is played on a steel string acoustic as well. A popular song example of this is "Blackbird" by the Beatles.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

fire heart
02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah ! I'm understand ! Thank Matt and Jim !

fenton1
04-15-2008, 03:25 PM
so why is there no classical lessons?

mattbrown
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't teach classical on the site, because I don't think that filmed lessons are very effective for teaching this subject matter. As a result, my time is better spent in other areas.

Sylvia
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't teach classical on the site, because I don't think that filmed lessons are very effective for teaching this subject matter. As a result, my time is better spent in other areas.

I would like to see some Classical lessons. I want to learn it all!! :jamfest:

mattbrown
04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Somebody might do classical lessons eventually. I hope someone does. I wish I didn't have to prioritize. I wish I could do all the great stuff that you guys suggest...If only the day was 48 hours long.:(

Classical music is so much fun to play! It's the best.

OldCrow
04-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey, Matt?

The whole prioritizing thing...I hear ya! But if one doesn't prioritize then depth and quality suffer. In fact, learning to prioritize in my practice time is the only thing that makes it useful. I have spent a couple of weeks grabbing at this or that and made little progress until lessons here taught me to prioritize.

So, you should get props for being professional enough to keep the focus.

Derrick