PDA

View Full Version : thumb pick

joshgreeno
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Jim,
What kind of thumb picks do you use? I am unhappy with the brand I purchased.

Jim.Deeming
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Josh,
I have become a fan of Fred Kelly picks in the last few years. He makes a variety of styles, thicknesses and sizes, but the one I am attached to is the "speedpick".
He makes them out of a material called delrin, which I like because it doesn't seem to loosen and start slipping after my hands warm up - or catch fire on Classical Gas...
If the design of that slick pick looks too wierd for you, he also makes a couple styles of thumbpicks that look more like the traditional ones.
For what it's worth, I wear the large speedpick made of the heavy gauge delrin. The different picks are color coded and it so happens the ones I like are green. That's fun because I almost always open a show with Tommy Emmanuel's tribute song to Chet Atkins, called, "The Man With The Green Thumb".
If you ever think you might want to try "hybrid picking", you might like that bumblebee pick. It didn't work for me, but I didn't try very hard either.
Here is the link to their website

http://www.fredkellypicks.com/

but also they are great folks to talk to and if you're not sure what you want, give them a call. At one time they used to sell a variety pack, but I'm not seeing it on their website just now.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes. And please tell them I sent you!
Jim

joshgreeno
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you use the same pick regardless of the guitar you are playing? Whether it's acoustic or electric.

Jim.Deeming
01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes I do - same pick for acoustic (both nylon and steel strings) and electric. That's probably a pretty individual choice though. My style of playing needs to have a wide range of options with the thumb - everything from a light hit that closely matches the finger strikes in arpeggiated stuff - to the 9 pound hammer alternating bass that Merle Travis taught us all how to do...

That's another thing I like about that speed pick. The striking tab of that pick is long and thin - which you would think might make it pretty weak. But it actually can dig in and thump the big notes just fine.

greeno
01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Jim, FYI, I emailed Fred Kelley Picks and they said they still offer variety packs of their picks.

joshgreeno
01-09-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm hoping that once you find your fit, you can order a few picks instead of a lifetime's supply of 24!

estaban
01-28-2008, 12:01 PM
"to the 9 pound hammer alternating bass that Merle Travis taught us all how to do..."

If there is a lesson on this someone please post a link.
Im assuming its what you were doing Jim at the colorado concert on the lesson scene..:)

Cool sound, I dont know how to do it.

rayza4d
04-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Just ordered some propics...thought i'd give em a try...got the thumb pic and the fingerstyle pics with the open tip. Just hope they show up soon cause I broke the cheapo thumb pic tryin to do that 9 ton hammer technique :(

Jim.Deeming
04-10-2008, 03:06 AM
"to the 9 pound hammer alternating bass that Merle Travis taught us all how to do..."

If there is a lesson on this someone please post a link.
Im assuming its what you were doing Jim at the colorado concert on the lesson scene..:)

Cool sound, I dont know how to do it.

Hang with me Esteban - this is definitely going to be covered in my phase two lessons - it's where we're going...

stets
04-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Recently enjoyed meeting and watching Doyle perform. I asked him about his thumb pick and he gave me the one he was using. It's a Fred Kelly speed pick. Works great, but he evidently didn't train it well enough for it to work for me anywhere near the way it was working for him.

Jim.Deeming
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Recently enjoyed meeting and watching Doyle perform. I asked him about his thumb pick and he gave me the one he was using. It's a Fred Kelly speed pick. Works great, but he evidently didn't train it well enough for it to work for me anywhere near the way it was working for him.

That's funny stets!

Doyle has a custom Fred Kelly pick made that has a bit longer long shank on it than the standard ones. And I understand what you mean about it not helping you. I played one of Doyle's signature Taylor guitars at Gruhns in Nashville - they put me in a little room with a big amp and turned me loose for over an hour - and you know that dumb guitar didn't teach me a thing?

Glad you got to see him. Doyle is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and not only is he a great player, he has written and/or arranged some amazing tunes. So far the ones I have "borrowed" from him are:

U2 Medley
Wabash Cannonball
Howling Of The Wood
Country Fried Pickin'
Patriotic Medley
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

And I have the TAB for his song "Twin Six Shooters" but I don't know when I'll tackle that one - it's a beast!